Anjelica shares her story of giving birth to her two daughters in extremely different settings as a military expat. Empowered and awakened to the lack of communal support that women receive as they transition to motherhood, she was determined to do something about it. Amidst raising her children, she became a lactation counselor and childbirth educator, focusing on helping women identify their goals and set up support systems before they give birth.
Anjelica's belief in a safe, loving environment for every woman to give birth in is inspiring. You won't want to miss this story about how different birth can be yet how it's always possible for it to be an empowering, positive experience.
Anjelica also wrote the best interactive breastfeeding resource we've ever gotten our hands on, and we'll be doing a giveaway over on Instagram this week (August 21, 2017) of Milk Boss 101: The Modern Breastfeeding Journal and Guide. Check out the giveaway over on Instagram here!
In This Episode:
- How while working as a medic in the military she realized how much deeper work with women always was
- Mosaic Motherhood - acknowledging how multi-faceted our lives are as mothers
- How access to specialized services like lactation support and doula support is a privilege and one that many don't have
- Growing up with either stay-at-home-moms or working moms and not feeling like she identified with either one as she approached motherhood
- The gap between patients and their care provider in Puerto Rico
- Listening to your Mother Wisdom above any other voice
- The differences between her births in Puerto Rico and Guam
- How every woman deserves to give birth in a gentle and safe space
- Breastfeeding is a minimum 2 person job in the beginning - we NEED SUPPORT
About Our Guest:
Anjelica Malone is a Third Culture Kid turned Global Mama. She is the author of Milk Boss 101: The Modern Breastfeeding Journal and Guide. She is also a Certified Lactation Educator Counselor, birth and postpartum doula, and a Childbirth Educator serving women in the Seattle area, where she lives with her husband, two Little Women, and their mini-dachshund, Aoki. Visit www.AnjelicaMalone.com to book her services or read her writings, which focus on encouraging women to embrace their passions and equipping them to navigate motherhood in the way that’s most natural to them.