Kelly tried to get pregnant for 4 years before finally being diagnosed with PCOS. After years of being dismissed by doctors, she and her husband finally had an answer to help them move forward - but it was just the beginning of their journey. After a job change to allow coverage of fertility treatments, Kelly began a series of IUI's (intra uterine insemination).
4 losses later, including an ectopic pregnancy, Kelly conceived her daughter and struggled through that pregnancy to remain hopeful while feeling so connected to this life she was sure was meant to be part of her life. Kelly shares the most incredible perspective on walking through loss and infertility with friends, and we think that her words are so important for any mama on the journey facing these challenges.
Lighthearted and joyful despite her painful journey, Kelly believes that spreading the word about PCOS and helping women advocate for themselves and their care is critical. She is a beacon of hope that despite significant challenges finding clarity and support is possible.
In This Episode:
- Spending years and years with symptoms of PCOS and never being diagnosed
- How everybody says "if you just lose weight your problems will go away"
- Switching jobs so that they could afford medical/fertility treatments once she was diagnosed
- Experiencing 4 IUI (intra uterine insemination) losses before conceiving her daughter
- Dealing with the shame of your body betraying you
- Finding both online and local support
- How she and a friend made a pact that if one of them got pregnant first, the other got to call the shots on how they would interact
- When Kelly felt like she became a mother
- Making the transition from saying "if everything goes ok" to "when this baby comes"
- What it was like to hold her daughter after waiting 7 years
- Kelly's tips for managing anxiety during pregnancy
About Our Guest:
Kelly Peters lives in New Jersey with her husband, their daughter Naomi, and a dog and cat. She is a gardener, a former photographer, a student of folk medicine & folklore, a forager, a cook, a belly dancer, a sometimes writer, a Phish fan, and a full time Mom.